- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup pistachios, very finely ground
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, pistachios, baking powder and salt; set aside. Stir extracts into the milk; set aside.
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Carefully transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add the butter and sugar to the mixing bowl; fit mixer with paddle attachment. Beat until mixture is fluffy. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture. Slowly pour in milk-extract combination, and beat until just mixed (at this point, the batter will be very thick – do not over beating or it will create a tough crumb).
4. Fold in the beaten egg whites. Evenly spoon batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.